Irishman dies suddenly while undergoing dental treatment in Turkey


An Irishman died suddenly while receiving dental treatment in Turkey.

Tony Rogers, 66, flew to Istanbul for emergency surgery on Monday, then died after receiving anesthesia in the dentist’s chair the following morning.

The popular businessman was the owner of one of the biggest taxi companies, Tony’s Cabs, in Drogheda, Co Louth.

He traveled alone to Turkey to have implants placed.

His tragic death caused great shock and sadness in his hometown where he was an extremely popular figure.

Read more: Meet the 14 dogs ‘on death row’ in an Irish foster home with time running out to save them

Turkish authorities should now carry out a full investigation into what happened.

An autopsy will also take place.

Turkey is the number one destination for Irish people having dental treatment abroad, followed by Hungary and Croatia.

Patients have implants, root canals and corbels fitted at a tenth of the cost in Ireland.

However, only last week the Irish Dental Association warned of the dangers of treatment abroad and told people to be ‘more discerning’ and do their homework on the dentist they choose. attend in another country.

They also revealed how three out of four dentists in Ireland had to deal with problems resulting from treatment received abroad.

He said: “The Irish Dental Association is concerned about the quality of dental care in other countries and urges people to seek a home consultation first.

“We need to encourage people who are likely to travel internationally to focus on the quality of work they receive and the real need for that work, not just the price of that work.”

The number of Irish people seeking treatment abroad has skyrocketed in recent weeks since Covid restrictions were lifted.

Mr. Roger’s family and friends are now desperately trying to find out what exactly happened to him.

He was not known to have any underlying health conditions.

He is survived by his heartbroken son and two daughters.

A friend said: “It’s a big shock and all of a sudden. We’re trying to find out exactly what happened to him. He obviously reacted to the aesthetic that was given to him.

“It’s so sad, he was a lovely man who worked hard and built his business from scratch. Everyone in Drogheda knew Tony.”

The Foreign Office confirmed it was aware of the case and was providing consular assistance where possible.

It said; “As with all consular cases, the Department cannot comment on the details of a specific case.”

READ MORE: Do you dream of living in New York? Inside the city where most people ‘want to leave’ as crime, costs and homelessness rise

READ MORE: Hope for Easter ‘heat wave’ as tropical air heads for Ireland in stunning Met Eireann weather forecast


About Author

Comments are closed.