The Andalusian Health Service (SAS) offers certain services free of charge in addition to annual examinations from six to 15 years.
Dental check-ups are vitally important for children, but although they are free once a year in Andalucia, not all parents take advantage of them. In fact, all children between the ages of 6 and 15 registered with the Andalusian health service are entitled to basic dental care and certain free treatments.
How does the system work?
Free basic dental care and special treatment begins January 1 of the year a child turns six and ends December 31 of the year they turn 15.
Dental care includes an annual checkup and advice on dental health and diet. If deemed necessary by the dentist, the following treatments are also available free of charge:
• Sealing of fissures in sound permanent teeth to prevent cavities.
• Fillings in case of caries.
• Treatment adapted to dental lesions.
• Extraction of baby teeth
• Extraction of a permanent tooth if the dentist thinks there is no option to save it
• Cleaning to remove scale
• Certain treatments for lesions or malformations of the incisors
What is not included for free
Paid treatments include:
• Treatment of trauma to the incisor group when there is a third party obliged to pay for the treatment
• Orthodontic treatment, without prejudice to that included in dental care in particular situations
• Repair of milk teeth
• X-rays and other diagnostic tests and any intervention prior to or necessary for these.
Choose a dentist
The Junta de Andalucía also points out that everyone is free to choose a dentist from the registered list every year. However, in the month of December, only dentists working in the public sector can be selected.